Sign in with Facebook   |  Login   |   Create Account

    Venue Directory

    St. Mary's Cathedral


    Comment on Facebook

    St. Mary's Church is used primarily for weekend liturgies and for special events including many musical groups. A significant symbol in this church is the "cathedra" or bishop's chair, located behind the altar. It is made of granite. The presence of his teaching chair makes this church a "cathedral." The bishop, as the pastor of his Cathedral, is the only one who uses this chair.

    A significant shrine of our patron, Cloud (lived in the 500's), is found on the north side of the upper church. The shrine holds a major relic of Saint Cloud, given to Bishop Busch in 1920 by the Bishop of Paris, France - a bone fragment as well as a piece of Saint Cloud's garment. One of the cabinets contain relics of 7 other saints. Further detail available on the Saint Cloud Shrine page.

    The "Statue of Mary, Mother of the Redeemer" was done by William Thompson of Athens, Georgia. Its circular motion leads to the Christ Child's blessing hand.

    The "K.C. Marrin Pipe Organ," is a tracker-action pipe organ built by Kevin C. Marrin and dedicated in 1984 and is one of the most significant instruments in the State of Minnesota.
    The small pipe organ in the gallery is one of several made for various churches and chapels in the Diocese. It was purchased with the assistance of Fr. Harold Pavelis, who was an associate pastor at the Cathedral. It is currently used to accompany choir and ensemble at special times of the year.

     


      • Featured Section

      • Ways To Connect

                                 

      •  Sign up for a weekly events newsletter.

        Recipients are automatically entered in weekly drawings for free tickets to area arts events.

        For Email Marketing you can trust